Friday, January 16, 2015

The Year of Prayer



In 2014 my focus was on prayer. I felt the growth in my faith as well. I believe God is working in the areas I have prayed for even when I don’t see any results yet.

I like the example of a pregnant woman. 

When my niece first told me she was pregnant, I couldn't see that she was pregnant. I didn't say, “Well you don’t look any different, so I don’t believe it’s true. Nothing has changed.” She looked just like she did before, but I believed her.  As I waited and believed and continued my relationship, she started looking a little bit different! Not a big change but a little bump. As I continued waiting the little bump grew. Each month I noticed a bigger change until eventually she really does look very pregnant. So it is with answers to prayers. We believe and expect that God is working even when we don’t see it. He has a lot of ground work to do! We expect results and results take time!  

I learned the importance of God’s Word! When we pray God’s Word, we are taking a positive approach to prayer, praying the answer rather than the problem. Have you ever spent time in prayer telling God all about the details of your problem? 

You repeat to  God all the negative things your spouse is saying and doing that hurt you, all the bad reports the doctor gave you, the gossip that’s going around about you and how hurt you feel that your friends have let you down, all the trouble your children have gotten into, how you were treated unfairly at work and someone else got the promotion you should have received, as if He doesn't already know? Then at the end you may say something like 

“Oh God I know you are a Great and merciful God so please show them how wrong they are and help them to change; vindicate me!” How do you feel when you finish praying? 

You just occupied 30 minutes of your prayer time reviewing and rehearsing your problems 
while only giving about 5 seconds to recognizing God for who He is  and petitioning for His answer. Of course you feel rotten! You just relived the hurt and rejection you felt when it occurred the first time! Don't multiply your suffering in this way! Instead, come to Him and relax in His peace. He wants to give us rest! 

Keep your prayers positive. Instead of repeating all your problem’s details, and the negative stuff try something like,

“Dear Father, You know the problems I’m having with my spouse. I praise you for bringing us together and I know that you love (him/her) even more than I do, so I know that you are working to bring unity into our marriage.”

Thank him in advance for the victory He will bring. 

His Name is greater than any other name under heaven, this includes names like rejection, cancer, fear… and the list goes on.

Don’t ask God to do for you what He has already done. Instead thank Him for it and receive it. Keep it simple. Sometimes less is more! 

Wordy prayers don’t impress him! He hears our simple cry “Help me!”

Could I suggest that at least 90% of our prayer time, maybe 95%; should be occupied with praise, adoration, thanksgiving, & worship. The other 5-10% will be adequate time for petitions and requests.

I find when we sense the Glory of God, His worth, His awesomeness, how good a Father He is, and all that He has done for us, it seems our problems fade into the background and as we praise Him and glorify His Name, and put our trust in Him, we will find that He takes care of our requests even if we don’t speak them. Matthew 6:33   Seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you. We don’t need to beg and plead with God to pour out His Spirit or for his mercy. He has already done that.

God loves you! He can't wait to fulfill the desires of your heart! He has planted those desires inside you! He is a good Father. He takes good care of his kids!

Have faith and believe that He has answered your prayer. Do you question whether you are saved?  Romans 10:9  If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Do you believe that Jesus died for your sins? Do you believe that He was raised from the dead?
If you answered “YES” Pray this prayer out loud,
“Jesus I believe that you are Lord, and that you died to pay the price for my sins and that God raised you from the dead.” This scripture says you are saved. Believe it.  

In the same way we believe that we are saved we can believe that our prayers are heard and He will answer. Mark 11:24 NIV Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it and it will by yours.

We are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus! (2 Corinthians 5:21) When we received Jesus into our hearts He placed a robe of righteousness on us and that is what He sees! In Isaiah 61:3 he says “(we) will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor.” I love that!

Sometimes we destroy our own prayers! Our unbelief shows up. Have you ever prayed & asked God to intervene in a situation. The phone rings and you start telling your girlfriend all about the problem that you just gave to God? You say lines like “He always does/says ______.   _____will never change!” These conversations destroy the prayer you just prayed! They reinforce our unbelief! 

We need to reinforce our faith by saying things like...
  • “I believe that God is working.”
  • “I am one day closer to the breakthrough.”
  • “I trust you God.”
  • “I believe that the outcome will be even better than I can imagine.”                               Thank Him for these truths.
Learn More about a Better Way to Pray



No comments: